Sunday, August 5, 2012

Visiting the Louvre

I have not had much to post about recently, but that should change soon as I am off to Paris and Vienna for a little rest and relaxation. A visit to the Louvre is on my list of things to do.

I will try to get photos and information to post on some of the most famous objects in the museum, such as the Gebel el Arak knife (Predynastic), the head of Djedefre (Old Kingdom), the Old Kingdom "Seated Scribe",  the bust of an Amarna Princess and the sarcophagus of Ramesses III. I will also be looking at the Second Intermediate Period art in the Louvre's collection.

The Louvre also has a good collection of Mesopotamian art, including reliefs from Khorsabad (reign of Sargon II) and the Ashurbanipal Prism, and I am looking forward to seeing this collection for the first time.

I am not aware of any collections of Near Eastern art in Vienna. If anyone knows of a collection that is worth seeing, please send me an email and I will try to get some photos and other information.


No comments:

Post a Comment